Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Powerful Panic Attacks

Two more days! I started calling all our utility companies last night to have our service transferred over. Each call took forever. None seemed less than 30 minutes. I don’t see how people find the time to move more than once a decade.

I had a panic attack last night when I ask the power company what the average power bill was for the new place. The woman on the other end sweetly replied with $800. $800!! Holy cow! I started to panic and almost fell out of my chair. “Do you mean $800 for multiple houses?” As in $800 for the whole street? “No ma’am, just the one house with one meter. You must be buying a big house!” Nope, not the case at all. Strangely enough, she did not seem affected by the astronomical amount. For a split second, I thought I was dreaming.

Once realty came back and hit me like a Mac truck, I asked if it was a past due balance and she said no. After a momentary blackout, I eventually found the strength to explain to her my concerns of having an $800 power bill and she put me on hold to investigate, which did not help my mental and physical situation. By the time she returned, I was gasping for air and had to hold my breath to hear what she was saying.

Thankfully, she explained to me that they had made a mistake in the billing and that it was in fact much less. At least, I hope that is what she said.

BTW, there was a giraffe calf born at the Zoo yesterday. He is one day old and already taller than me at 5 foot six inches.

xoxo

No comments: